Merhaba dear All,
It gives me a great pleasure to share my dear friend Sibel Pinto’s special recipe, Roasted aubergine/eggplant with tomatoes, herbs and chees, Patlican Yelpaze. Sibel is a chef-instructor, founder of ‘Action Kashkarikas Wasteless Kitchen Mission’, anti-foodwaste activist, Gourmand Cookbooks Award winning author of ‘The Evolution of Sephardic Cuisine in Turkey.’ Sibel does a lot of very valuable work to promote Food Waste Awareness around the world, please follow her on Instagram at @chef_sibelpinto and her website, kashkarikas.com , if you like to know more about her work.
We have done an Instagram Live with Sibel a few weeks ago and she kindly demonstrated this delicious Roasted aubergine, tomatoes, herbs and cheese recipe to us. This recipe dates back to her Sephardic roots, a legacy from her grandmother Elisa’s kitchen; many thanks Sibel’cim for sharing with us.
I love the ease of this recipe and it is Mediterranean on a plate. Buffalo mozarella really works well here (our favourite) with its creamy texture. It was lovely with Turkish beyaz peynir, or feta cheese too. Marinating the aubergine generously with herbs, garlic, olive oil is important and adds such a lot of flavour. Here’s Sibel’s recipe if you like to make at home:
ROASTED AUBERGINE With TOMATOES, HERBS AND CHEESE – PATLICAN YELPAZE
- 1 aubergine, eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60ml/ 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 100-150 gr mozzarella cheese, cut into slices
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and cut into thin slices (or several cherry tomatoes, cut in half)
- 15ml/1 tablespoon dried mint
- 15ml/1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 5ml/1 teaspoon Turkish red pepper flakes, pul biber
- Parsley/basil (chopped roughly)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Prepare the sauce: Mix the olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, mint, oregano and red pepper flakes.
- Cut the aubergine into thin (about 1/2 cm) slices, but not all the way through, leave it attached to the stem.
- Cover your baking dish with baking paper and place the aubergine on a baking pan.
- Coat and brush every slice on both sides generously with the sauce.
- Place the cheese and tomato slices between each aubergine slice.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Then uncover and cook around 10 – 15 minutes (and a bit more if your aubergine is big), until the cheese melts deliciously.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with basil/parsley and serve warm.
It’s been very hot recently, we enjoyed this delicious Roasted aubergine, Patlican Yelpaze, with Shepherd’s Salad with sumac, Baked potato with cumin, red peppers and onions and Cacik dip with cucumber and yoghurt by the side, it was lovely meal.
Stuffed Anatolian Flatbreads, Gozleme, is one of the most popular street food in Turkey and it is easy to make it at home. It is now at Ozlem’s Turkish Table YouTube channel and it’s been a big hit, here is the link if you like to have a go too:
One of the most special things about writing Ozlem’s Turkish Table cookery book has been witnessing how much joy it has brought to over 5,000 Turkish food lovers around the world. My sincere thanks to each and everyone for your kind feedback and writing a review on Amazon. If you have a copy of Ozlem’s Turkish Table cookery book and can kindly write a review here, we would greatly appreciate it.
Here’s the latest 5 star review on Ozlem’s Turkish Table cookery book, with many thanks to Leah 1709:
“Passion for Turkish Cuisine: This is a wonderful book, full of excellent tips and suggestions as well as alternative ingredients and suggestions to try. You can definitely feel the love Özlem has for her homeland and the passion she has for the cuisine. This book was one of the best gifts I have received and I love trying the recipes. More people should try Turkish cuisine…. Delicious”
Signed hardback copies of Ozlem’s Turkish Table cookery book is 30 % off via GBPublishing at this link, until July 3rd 2020. It is delivered worldwide, including the USA. The offer has been our way of helping out food lovers with home cooking, especially during the Covid 19 lock down. Many thanks for all your kind words and sharing your delicious creations with us.
My Best wishes and Afiyet Olsun,