Merhaba to you all; this week, I would like to share this favorite easy, delicious all in one vegetarian course – Spiced potatoes, onions, pepper and olives baked in olive oil. Touch of warm, pungent cumin and spicy Turkish red pepper flakes add a lot of flavor to the vegetables here, especially to the humble potato, transforming their taste to a new level. The sweetness of peppers and red onions also give a lovely contrast to juicy, salty olives and complement one another really well. As always, it is all about using a few good, seasonal ingredients and you have a delicious, wholesome dish in hand in less than 1 hour.
You can serve this comforting, gluten-free course as a side to grills or as part of a mezze spread. It can be also be a delicious, light main course on its own with the Cacik dip of cucumber, yoghurt with dried mint and some crusty bread aside. You can also bake this dish ahead of time and give it a gentle reheat in the oven just before serving. Try to get good quality olives; Turkish, Italian, Spanish or Greek Kalamata olives all work well and really make a difference.
Turkish cuisine is healthy, delicious and packed full of easy, wholesome vegetarian options like this recipe. I am passionate about my homeland’s scrumptious Turkish cuisine; over 90 authentic Turkish recipes are included at my Gourmand award winner cookery book, Ozlem’s Turkish Table, Recipes from My Homeland. Signed copies are available at this link (and 20 % off during the festive season) and delivered worldwide.
- 1kg / 2.2 lb. medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 medium red onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 red bell pepper (or pointy pepper), deseeded, quartered and thinly sliced
- 12- 14 good quality black olives, pitted and halved
- 15 ml/ 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 10 ml / 2 tsp. Turkish red pepper flakes or chili flakes (you can use more for a spicier taste)
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/ 400 F
- Put the quartered potatoes in a large enough pan with plenty of cold water.
- Parboil or partially cook the potatoes for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and stir in the sliced red onions and peppers. Sautee for 5 minutes, until they start to soften up, turn the heat off.
- Grease the baking tray with a good drizzle (about 2 tbsp.) of olive oil. Combine the parboiled potatoes, sautéed red onions, peppers and the pitted black olives in the tray. Include any remaining olive oil in the pan of the sautéed red onions and peppers to the baking tray.
- Stir in the ground cumin and red pepper flakes over the vegetables. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Using your hands, combine the spices and the seasoning with the vegetables and olives, giving them a good mix.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 200 C/ 400 F and serve hot.