Merhaba Dear All,
I hope you enjoy my new recipe, Sautéed carrots and courgette/zucchini with walnuts in yoghurt – Yogurtlu havuc ve kabak salatasi, in this post.
This is a much loved meze at home; sweetness of sautéed carrots and courgette/zucchini works so well in garlicky yoghurt with dill. I added chopped gherkins, our tursu here (capers would work well too) here for a touch of tanginess and crunchy walnuts for added texture and flavour. A delicious dip that you can serve as part of your mezze spread, great with grills and pasta too. You can prepare this meze ahead of time and store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 days. Another version of this dip, with Sauteed carrots in garlicky yoghurt and parsley is also at my cookery book, Ozlem’s Turkish Table.
- 3 medium courgette/zucchini, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
- 15ml/1 tbsp chopped gherkins or capers
- 45ml / 3 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 230g/8 oz strained or whole milk yoghurt
- 45ml / 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the grated courgette/zucchini in a colander, sprinkle with a little salt and leave to drain for 10 minutes. Using a tea towel or sturdy paper towels, really squeeze out any excess juice from the courgette/zucchini and put in a large bowl. Combine the grated carrots with the courgette in the bowl.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide heavy pan and sauté the grated carrots and courgette for 3-4 minutes, over medium to high heat. Stir in the garlic, season with salt and ground black pepper and sauté further 4 minutes. The vegetables will soften up but still a little crunchy. Turn the heat off and leave them aside to cool in a large bowl.
- Once cool, stir in the chopped gherkins or capers and dill to the sautéed carrots and courgette. Fold in the yoghurt and chopped walnuts, combine well. Season with salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Spread over a serving plate, with a few pieces of chopped walnuts over the top, if you like. Afiyet Olsun.
We are absolutely delighted to share that hardback copies of my cookery book, Ozlem’s Turkish Table, is now available at the Milk Street Online store!
We have been trying hard for the readers in the US and North America to be able to have hardback copies of Ozlem’s Turkish Table and I am thrilled that Milk Street online store now carries it. I am proud to be a friend of Milk Street and love teaching online classes with them, do hope you enjoy my cookery book, you can order your copy here.
Let’s Make Mezze! Filo triangles with cheese and spinach (Muska boregi), Courgette/zucchini fritters (Mucver) and Piyaz salad with sumac onions, tomato, parsley Zoom Cooking Class
Saturday, June 5th 2021, 6 pm – 7.30 pm (BST)
We love mezze; small plateful of savoury pastries, salads, dips, vegetables prepared in countless ways, in Turkish cuisine; these delightful plates adorn our table, to share with family and friends. Please join our zoom class on Saturday, June 5th, 6pm – 7.30pm (BST), as I will be teaching how to make some of my favourite mezzes. We will be making the popular Filo triangles with cheese and spinach (Muska boregi), Courgette/zucchini fritters with herbs and cheese (Mucver) and Piyaz salad with sumac onions, tomato, parsley – a feast you will be surprised to see how easy to make too.
Date: Saturday, June 5th 2021
Time: 6pm- 7.30pm (BST)
Cost: 30 GBP per person
To register for the class, please kindly make the payment of 30 GBP per person via the PayPal button at my Cookery Classes page. The classes tend to sell out quickly therefore early registration is recommended.
I hope you can join us to make this delicious meze feast and take a virtual culinary journey to my homeland, Turkey.