This delicious baked sea bass makes a complete meal with all the fresh vegetables in it, and it is so easy to make. I cooked the sea bass and the vegetables in olive oil, lemon juice and a little water and covered in foil. This healthy way of cooking retains all the wonderful juices of the fish and vegetables and makes the flesh tender. The result has been a refreshing, utterly delicious supper, easy to prepare. You can use any other white flesh fish of your choice.
Turkish cuisine has a long and rich tradition of incorporating hot and cold mezes, fish and seafood, regional, delicious dips and salads, variety of vegetarian, vegan and gluten free courses. They have all been included at my cookery book, Ozlem’s Turkish Table; Signed copies are delivered worldwide including USA and Canada and, it is available at this link.
I hope you enjoy this easy, delicious recipe, Afiyet Olsun,
- 4 fillets of sea bass – or a white flesh fish of your choice-
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 medium potatoes, par boiled for 10 minutes
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 fl oz. / ¼ cup water (or fish stock)
- 60 ml / 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 5ml/1 tsp red pepper flakes – optional
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Handful of flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped – to decorate
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large, heavy pan. Stir in the chopped onions and cook until soft, for 3 -4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and tomatoes and cook over medium to low heat for 3 minutes. Pour in the water or fish stock, lemon juice and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook gently for another 2 minutes on low heat and leave to cool.
- Par boil the potatoes in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain the water and leave to cool. Once it is cool enough to handle, cut in half and slice thinly.
- Grease a baking dish with the remaining 2 tbsp. olive oil and place the fish fillets and potato slices in the dish, coat them with the olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread the tomato and onion mixture over the fish fillets and place the potato slices alongside the fish. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes (Please check the recommended cooking time for the fish of your choice on the packaging).
- Once cooked, take the foil out and sprinkle chopped parsley and red pepper flakes over the fish. Serve immediately with wedges of lemon by the side.
- Afiyet Olsun.
A delightful way to prepare fish, Ozlem, especially perfect now that the weather is warming up for us. I like the colorful touch of tomatoes:) xxPeri.
Dear Peri, thank you so much; I love this connection of good food between us, enjoy the warmer temperatures : ) Ozlem xx
Özlem’ciğim, My mouth started watering just looking at your photo. We’ve really gotten into a habit of cooking fish at least once a week. Your recipe is sure to become one of our weekly dishes. Çok teşekkür ederiz, selamlar ve sevgilerimizle, xoxo J
Merhaba Jolee’cigim, lovely to get your note as always – glad the recipe inspires, afiyet olsun : ) Cok sevgilerimle, Ozlem xxx
This is my favourite way of cooking seabass Özlem, whole fish rather than pieces as the filets are so expensive here in Turkey.
Thank you Back to Bodrum, I love cooking whole fish too, though my family prefers the fillets, glad you enjoy this way too 🙂 Ozlem x
Oh, my! Wonderful feast for the eyes!
Looks so delicious!! Can’t wait to try it Özlem!
Thank you dear Mary, hope you enjoy it!:) Sevgilerimle, Ozlem xx
Yum! Can you get good sea bass in London? I hope the seafood shops will be good…no fish and chips for me! 😉
Merhaba Joy, thank you for stopping buy! You can get really decent fish in London and the fresh produce is very impressive too, I know you will enjoy the vibrant, diverse food scene – look forward to having you in England!:) x
Your recipes never disappoint, Ozlem, and this was no exception! Lance told me at least three times during our dinner how much he was enjoying it! We have fish several times a week. This recipe was easy and delicious! It will be used again for sure. Many thanks! 🙂 xx
Thank you so much dear Lowrie, your note made my day! No better compliment than hearing you both enjoyed the dish, I love its simplicity and natural flavors too, afiyet olsun! : ) Hugs to you and Lance to Houston! Ozlem xx
It looks delicious and the presentations are lovely! Thank you so much for sharing. 🙂
Merhaba dear Linda, you are very welcome – hope you enjoy making it!:)