This baked vegetables in tomato sauce with olive oil, Firin Sebze, is a delicious, easy and healthy vegetarian course that we turn to often. Beauty of this dish is that you can use whatever vegetables you have in hand; zucchini (courgettes), peppers, onions, peas, carrots, beetroots, aubergines, beans, potatoes especially work well. In Turkish cuisine, we use tomato based sauces a lot in our casseroles, stews and baked dishes; you can use juicy, ripe tomatoes when they are in season. If you can’t get hold of ripe tomatoes, a good quality canned chopped tomatoes also work very well.
For a more substantial vegetarian course, you can add cooked chickpeas to the vegetable mixture here and bake all together. It is a delicious and gluten-free vegetarian course that complements any grills and pasta beautifully; you can also serve this vegetable bake as part of a mezze spread.
You can prepare this dish ahead of time and keep in the fridge or freezer. If left in fridge, reheat at the preheated oven at 200 C / 400 F for 15 – 20 minutes. If kept in freezer, reheat at the same temperature for about 30 minutes.
I hope this delicious baked vegetables with olive oil inspires for easy, healthy, delicious home cooked meals for you all.
- 3 medium zucchini (courgettes), quartered and sliced (about ½ cm, 0.20”)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Red, green and yellow bell peppers (or pointy peppers), deseeded and sliced in small chunks
- 4 ripe tomatoes cut in small chunks or 1 can of 400 gr/14 oz. canned chopped tomatoes
- 10 ml/ 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 fl oz. / 1 cup water
- 10 ml / 2 tsp. oregano
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to your taste
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C / 400 F
- Combine sliced zucchini (courgettes), peppers, onions and garlic on a baking tray.
- Pour in the olive oil and mix with the vegetables well.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes or canned chopped tomatoes, combine well.
- Pour in the water.
- Stir in the oregano and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Combine well.
- Bake in the preheated oven (200 C/ 400 F), uncovered for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, give the vegetables a good mix and bake for a further 20 minutes, until they start to chargrill at edges.
- Serve hot as part of a mezze spread or as a side to pasta and grills.