As I am getting ready for my upcoming Turkish cookery class on 10th May, I couldn’t resist sharing this delicious dessert from our class, baked dried apricots with walnuts stuffing in the new recipe card format. Such an easy, yet delicious and wholesome treat, if you’d like to have a go too.
One of Turkey’s most prolific fruits is the apricot. Because of their abundance, some of the yearly harvest is allowed to dry in the hot summer sun in order to be enjoyed all year round. Malatya, a city in southeast Turkey, is particularly famous for excellent dried apricots which are exported throughout the world. You can find dried apricots in most stores these days, online Turkish store Tulumba.com also carries them if you live in the US.
Apricots are great snacks; they are packed with fiber, antioxidants and their naturally rich, wonderful flavor is icing on the cake. This easy dessert is great for parties, sharing with friends or family or just indulging yourself. Hope you enjoy it.
- 225 gr / 8 oz dried Turkish apricots
- 3 fl oz / ⅓ cup water – if needed -
- 30ml/2 tablespoons butter
- 30ml/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- For the filling:
- 75 gr /1/2 cup crushed walnuts into small pieces
- 50 gr / ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water for baking
- Crushed pistachio nuts for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F
- Soak the dried apricots in warm water for 10 minutes, if they are really hard. Then drain the water. If they are already soft enough to split open, you can skip this stage.
- Combine the crushed walnuts and brown sugar in a small bowl as the filling.
- Split open the apricots with a small knife, making sure one end is still intact.
- Stuff each apricot with a teaspoonful of crushed walnut and brown sugar mixture and slightly close it up.
- Grease a baking tray with olive oil or butter and place the stuffed dried apricots on it.
- Pour the water over the tray.
- Place a tiny little dab of butter on the top of the each stuffed apricot.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the apricots and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Arrange them in a serving dish and sprinkle over some crushed pistachio nuts.